I find this dessert to be ‘multi purpose’. It is quick to make with only a few ingredients. It can be served immediately, but even better the next day.
It works well for tea time or an after dinner dessert.
- 2 packets Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 250ml single cream (alternative)
- 1 packet of digestive biscuits (or a similar hard biscuit)
- Blend milk and vanilla pudding packets for about 2 minutes. Fold in the cream.
- In a 18x25mm flat dish, layer the biscuits to cover entire bottom of the dish. You may need to cut and shape the crackers to fit nicely.
- Pour half of the mixture on top and level.
- Add another layer of biscuits to cover entire surface. Cut and shape biscuits accordingly.
- Put the second half of the mixture on top and level.
- Add the final layer of biscuits on top with bumpy side down. This will ensure a smoother surface for the ganache at the top.
- Follow the instructions below for the ganache. After layering the ganache, keep refrigerated. Ready to eat after a hour of refrigeration.
- 150ml double cream
- 28g unsalted butter
- 28g caster sugar
- 100g good quality dark chocolate, broken up in small pieces
- Heat the cream, butter, sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to boil when the sugar has dissolved.
- Put the chocolate in a separate bowl.
- Pour the boiling cream mixture over the chocolate and let it stand for 10 minutes, then stir until smooth.
- Whilst the ganache is lukewarm (it can not be too warm and runny, but not too cold either, otherwise it will get too thick to pour), pour over the layered tart and spread evenly whilst keeping a smooth even layer.